Isa Bey Mosque was erected in 1375 by the order of Isa Bey of the Aydinogulları Emirate. It is situated in Selcuk town, beneath the Selcuk Castle along with the Basilica of St. John and nearby ancient city of Ephesus. Isa Bey Mosque is not only One of the most beautiful examples of Anatolian mosque architecture, reflecting the Seljuk style, but also is known to be one of the oldest mosque with a courtyard. Columns in the courtyard and stone pieces in the construction are reused materials, they were brought from Ephesus site and the Temple of Artemis.
In Isa Bey Mosque the minarets were located in the West and east corners of the actual area of worship. The mosque was covered with two central domes displaying the such elements of the Selcuk architecture as the pendentives and stalactites of the window moldings, faince mosaics and the painted tiles. The mosque included two lateral aisles. The minaret, on the east was was already destroyed. Today only western minaret made of bricks, remains in part, standing.
The monumantal entrance from the western gate, one of the two gates, was made of beautiful white and yellowish and surrounded by a carved moulding. Once entered is a colonnaded courtyard consisting of 12 columns which constitute the porticoes. In the center of courtyard there is a fountain for people to perform their ablution before praying. Inside the mosque was the pulpit, the speaker’s stand facing the congregation, and the mihrab which was covered by two domes, the niche pointing out the direction of Kaaba in Mecca for the prayer. Later used as a caravanserai, Isa Bey Mosque was restored in 1934.